Old Fort Bridger, Wyo.
figureposted on 21.05.2019, 00:00 by No Author
OLD FORT BRIDGER. What does this monument tell us? What does the lower scene represent? The upper one? Fort Bridger was built as a trading post by Jim Bridger, a famous scout and guide, in 1834. Thousands of emigrants on their way to Oregon and California halted here for days or weeks to rest their weary oxen and horses, to mend their wagons, and to prepare for the long trip over the desert region of Utah and Nevada. One of the old wagons used by the emigrants is standing in front of the general store, which was owned by Judge Carter. We examine the guardhouse and the remains of the old fort, which was built of logs and had a sod roof. Surrounding the buildings is a part of the stockade. This was a heavy fence of pointed timbers eight feet high. It was built as a protection against Indian raids. Here, also, are the ruins of the long, low stables that sheltered the fast and hardy little ponies used on the Pony Express. We try to picture the rough, busy, noisy scene of a hundred years ago--Indians, trappers, scouts, soldiers, covered wagons filled with women and children, with the men and boys riding in front, alongside, and behind.